Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Latest Future Cars

Change can be scary. The familiar becomes alien, the things we rely on are no longer there, and routines are thrown out of whack. But with every big change comes opportunity, and even though the old guard of auto enthusiasts sees the latest industry trends and governmental crackdowns as evidence that car culture as we know isn’t long for this world, I’m hopeful. What we’re witnessing isn’t the destruction of the lifestyle we know and love, but rather its transformation.
I’ll explain, but first, I’d like to invite representatives from each of the established enthusiast tribes to join me here at the virtual table. I’ll start with the muscle car guys, the lead-sled lovers who see no replacement for displacement. Next, I’d like to bring in the import mob, where high-tech tuning reigns supreme. Then there’s the polished show and shine crowd, followed by the classic collectors. And of course, I can’t forget the race-prepped adrenaline junkies.
Now that we’re all here, I’ll start by acknowledging the obvious – each of our respective car cultures isn’t what it used to be. Miles per gallon trumps miles per hour, autonomous systems threaten our spot behind the wheel, internal combustion is spurned at every opportunity, and cars are quickly becoming just another appliance. Looks like trouble, right?
Wrong. The fact you’re reading these words is proof enough that automotive enthusiasm is alive and well, and even though car culture is indeed changing, there’s no reason to fear the future.
In this piece, I took a look at my crystal ball and outlined four possible evolutions of the automotive devotee, and why each should be considered your friend, not your enemy.

Future Cars


Future Cars
Future Cars

Future Cars


Future Cars
Future Cars

Future Cars


Future Cars
Future Cars

Future Cars

Future Cars


Future Cars
Future Cars

Future Cars

Future Cars

Future Cars

Future Cars

No comments:

Post a Comment